Ulubey is the first town and county that you will encounter traveling along the Ordu-Sivas Highway, or D850. The town is located only about 21 km (13 mi) south of the City of Ordu. Traveling south on D850 towards Ulubey the road will begin to climb into the Canik Mountains and narrow down into a 2 lane road. The first sign you have entered the province of Ulubey is the pyramid shaped mountain called Şuayip Mountain, or “This is Rude” Mountain.
The town, like many of the towns and villages in Ordu, sits along a mountain ridge with the highway running through the middle. Buildings line both sides of the road. Behind the buildings the slope of the mountain drops sharply. Typically the street level of the buildings are used as shops or restaurants and the upper levels are residences. Since the town is relatively close to the City of Ordu the shops comprise of mostly convenience stores, repair shops, and tea and coffee shops. A few schools and some government buildings are also there. The town is fairly small. The sign entering the city says the population is 20,900, but that number is for the entire district. The town’s population is closer to 9,000, however when I visited it could actually be closer to half that amount. Apparently in the summer months many people, that have migrated to Istanbul or Europe for work, return home, and the town becomes much more crowded.
In the center of town a small town square with a park has recently been built and upgraded. There are a few stores surrounding the square however the majority of the business is found along the highway. On the edge of the square is where locals and visitors can find service buses back to the city or to the surrounding villages. There isn’t a lot of touristic places to visit in the town. However, the district does provide some interesting points of interest. These include some historical mosques and fountains, an astronomy center for stargazing, along with the beautiful Küpkaya Canyon and many picnic areas We will be visiting and highlighting all of them.
For those interested in history here is a little background information.
Ulubey has been officially registered as a district by the Ottoman Empire since 1547. However, it is known that this area that Turks have resided in the area since the 13th century during Canık Chiefdom which resulted after the 4th Crusades. There is even evidence indicating people living in the area around 1400 BC. The province and capital gained importance in 1880 when the road between the coastal City of Ordu and the City of Sivas was opened. Finally in 1958, Ulubey became an official province of Ordu by the Turkey.